How to become a real estate agent in BC.
- The Real Estate Council of British Columbia is the regulatory agency responsible for licensing individuals and brokerages engaged in real estate sales, rentals and strata property management. Their website contains the requirements to become a licensed real estate agent in British Columbia.
- Refer to the Council’s Step-by-Step Licensing Guide for an overview of the training required sell real estate in BC.
- In order to attain your real estate licence, you must complete the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course offered through the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business, Real Estate Division. This is a self-paced correspondence course comprised of 20 multiple-choice assignments and a 3-hour multiple choice final exam. Most individuals complete it within six months based on completing one assignment per week, usually spending 10 – 12 hours per assignment.
- Students can submit a maximum of 2 assignments per week. This means the soonest you can register for your exam is 10 weeks, when all 20 assignments have been submitted.
- You have 2 years to take the exam after all assignments have been completed.
- A score of 70% is required to pass the exam.
- Note that under the new requirements, Grade 12 is no longer sufficient to write the real estate exam. You must have 4 year bachelor degree in Canada, or else take CELPIP exam at a cost of $285. Information found on CELPIP.ca
- Starting a career in real estate requires an investment, as you are starting your own business. Consider the startup costs.
- Think about enrolling in an accelerated learning program to ensure you pass the exam.
- Find the right brokerage for you to commence your real estate career and to become licensed. Learn more about RE/MAX and register for an information session. Join us for Career Night!
- When you have successfully completed your pre-licensing exam you must take the BCREA Applied Practice Course (either the Commercial or Residential version). This is a requirement for you to be accepted by a brokerage. You will spend 2.5 weeks (2 weeks online and 2 days in class) in the course before you are licensed and a further 4.5 months overseen by your Managing Broker as you complete in-field assignments.
In my first year with RE/MAX all my hopes were fulfilled. When I left Sutton a lot of people asked me what I was hoping to find joining another brokerage. I wanted a manager who cared, a great support staff, training, a smooth transition and ultimately more sales. Well having my biggest year before being 16 ends and this year doing 40 ends with RE/MAX. You can certainly say you delivered!
The decision to choose RE/MAX was easy as it’s one of the most trusted brands in the real estate industry. As a new agent training and guidance was my number one priority and I had heard great things about Crest. They have an extensive training program taking you from start to finish covering all the possible situations agents can encounter. My managing broker is always quick to respond to questions or offer advice. I am really happy with my decision and look forward to many years with RE/MAX.
Wayne is an outstanding leader and is someone that you can always count on for the right answer. He has a way of making everyone feel welcome and comfortable. Wayne is the go-to person for many people, and is a true expert in all Real Estate matters. I have never seen Wayne be anything but positive and professional, and feel fortunate to work with him.
Thank you for such an informative and positive experience. As someone that is looking for a new career, Cassidy and her team provided such great information in a powerful & interactive 2 hour session. It is well worth your time and I strongly recommend for anyone thinking about getting into real estate.
I was presented with the opportunity to attend RE/MAX Career Night by chance while doing some research on the Real Estate Licensing program on the internet. I was in contact with a couple agents from other realty firms but did not get the information I received from a couple of hours well spent this night. I have worked in banking and lending for the past fourteen years, so going from a salaried position to a commission based income was very worrisome. However, Cassidy’s enthusiasm and the way the information was provided gave me the push I needed to take the necessary steps to make the decision to take the Real Estate Licensing program within the next few weeks. I believe my previous career will assist me in my growth especially that I am very goal oriented and set my goals high. Even if I do not choose to be a RE/MAX agent, they are the reason I made the choice to start a new career.
One of the many benefits of joining RE/MAX Crest is that I am averaging 2 deals per year from the company’s online lead generation programs, which has been about $20,000 per year more in my pocket, just for being with RE/MAX!
We have a slick operation that is recognized in my own day to day business, by other REALTORS® and consumers alike and I’m proud to be a part of it. The like minded people the company has attracted has resulted in friendships that I really enjoy.
I think the thing that sets RE/MAX apart is the amount each office invests in its new Agents. Real Estate can be nerve wracking but having such excellent training and support through amazing Managing Brokers and mentors has made my transition to this business smooth and encouraging. You’re never alone. If you want a leg up when you get into real estate you need to be with RE/MAX.
One of the best decision I took in 2019 was switching my brokerage to RE/MAX Crest Realty in North Vancouver. I am very happy to have joined RE/MAX Crest. Ever since we have joined them, we have found the office staffs (receptions and conveyancers) to be very responsive, friendly, professional and a joy to work alongside. My Managing Broker, Denise Salmon, always available. She always and consistently gets back to us very quickly, and she is very supportive. RE/MAX make our jobs easier, and we are honored and thankful to be a part of a brokerage that is deservedly highly esteemed in the real estate community.
I have been in this business and with RE/MAX exclusively now for 10 years. I have been instructing for the BCREA for many years and have always since day ONE been an award winning agent. So, you think that I’m pretty self sufficient…NOT. Whether you are starting out or have been in the business for years you need to have the sage advice and leadership of a Managing Broker…Our manager always makes the time to discuss whether face to face or over the phone any issue that arises.
Our manager has been a good managing broker for years. He is knowledgeable in all areas of real estate and has helped many associates in the past. He holds firm to what he believes to be right and has never guided any associates in the wrong way.
I have been a REALTOR® at RE/MAX Crest Burnaby for over 9 years. During that time my manager has always been available to answer any questions & concerns of mine. (Even when I’ve called him on his cell on a weekend or in the evening!) His guidance has provided me with confidence in understanding and managing new and/or complex scenarios. He has put together an excellent administrative & conveyance support team at the office. He is also easy & fun to socialize with at our office events.
I think the best support in one’s REALTOR® career is that you have a good brokerage manager. It’s like when you are facing difficulties, Godfrey, our brokerage manager, will say: don’t worry, I got your back.